(1) You got to spend money....on yourself instead of buying some dude some overpriced cologne that he may or may not have been grateful for.
(2) You didn't have to buy anything to wear. It's 30 degrees outside. A sleeveless, red satin cocktail dress is not the move.
(3) 2 couples at my church got engaged, proving that love is still alive.
(4) You don't have to nurture flowers for another 2 weeks only to watch them die and shed brittle leaves all over your counter.
(5) You get to spend some quality time with fellow single friends and celebrated being SINGLE. There is nothing wrong with that. Which is a gift that I'm told you only fully appreciate once you are married :-/
(6) V-day was followed by a federal holiday, which meant a PAID day off from work....for most of us.
(7) Two of the most important people in my life had Valentine's so I didn't have to listen to them complain.
(8) You didn't buy in to a consumer driven holiday that bankrupts those who want to be truly impressive. So, in essence, you STUCK IT TO THE MAN. Plus, single folks get to buy all of the candy half off the next day. :-)
(9) You didn't get one of 180 million greeting cards that was a completely unoriginally expression of how much someone cares about you.
(10) You didn't have to build unreasonably high expectations of a night and maybe even a relationship only to be disappointed and maybe even pissed at the possible outcome.
(11) There are plently of fun things for singles to do. After all we ARE in the majority
(12) It's 1 day out of the WHOLE year. Whining about it is pretty much pointless.
(13) My mommy still buys me valentine's day gifts :-)
(14) Because true love doesn't come in boxes of chocolate, it comes from this:1 Corinthians 13:4-7
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."
And as long as this is the standard and I'm striving toward it, I'm good. So while I definitely wouldn't have minded being snuggled up next to the love of my life, at least I didn't feel the need to crawl into a whole for 24 hrs. Win-win, I guess.